Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh! The Printed Word

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." - Unknown

It's been far too long since I've read non-graphic literature. My last foray consisted of the three Twilight books this part March. I find myself missing books.

Just bought Stephen King's most recent, Duma Key. I've heard from King fans I know that this is one his best novels. Since I've had the hankering to sit down with some of King's long-form fiction again, I decided to let this book be the one to take me back.

Books have the remarkable characteristic of igniting the world. For example, there's an astounding book out from 1995 entitled, Pirate Utopias: Moorish Corsairs and European Renagadoes. It's a detailed and academically lauded book about the real phenomena of "pirate utopias" in the 16th through 19th centuries. How fascinating!

Sometimes, I forget, with my constant love affair with worlds that are not, have not been, will not be, or might be that I forget the world that was. Pirates existed. Not just in movies and penny dreadfuls. Pirates actually existed. And I think people, myself included, tend to forget that fact.

And yet, here's a book to remind us and explain to us as it was. I can't wait to order this book, as I can't wait to engorge some of the factual lives of real pirates. Real pirates!

With Ashleigh so far away right now, losing myself in treasure troves such as these books will help assuage the ache of missing her. Though she's never out of my mind, at the very least, the books will help occupy my brain.

Onward!

No comments: