Thursday, February 28, 2008

Editors Must Die

Normally, I let little things slide when the Herald Journal publishes my articles. Commonly, all personality ( and intelligence) tends to be edited out of my pieces until it's but a frail skeleton of what I intended. Half the time, my ideas get across regardless.

They do this for various reasons, space being the primary one. I get that. I don't like it one bit, but I get that.

However, when I make comparison's to someone's music, it is NOT okay to change the names being compared.

This week, I discussed how the term singer-songwriter has become synonymous with solely acoustic guitar and now acoustic pop from artists like Jewel (older stuff), John Mayer, and Josh Kelly in a brief introduction to display why Sufjan Stevens is amazing and what sets him apart as an artist.

For some unknown reason, my editor though it okay to change Josh Kelly to Ryan Adams, who is not at all the kind of musician I was discussing.

This bullshit infuriates me. It changes my ideas on the page and misrepresents my analysis and opinion about the music of those discussed.

If there's a bubonic plague outbreak at the Herald Journal offices today...wasn't me.

No comments: